Monday, January 5, 2009

Now is the time for action..

Compliments of the new season guys. I trust tese takapinda nemufaro nenyasha.

I have been thinking (for a long time now) why we havent put a name for ourselves when we are such good developers. I know we are all busy with work items but i believe this is the year big things should happen in our programming lives, unless i am an optimists. (Optimist: glass is half full ; Persimist: glass is half empty).

To start with i would want to pose a question to everyone on this forum. What did we do last year that was not part of your work? I know some got married, congrats, but when it comes to programming, did we archieve anything or we are letting those Java/PhP/Postgres skills rot in the back of our mind. It pains me to realise all those bright ideas and dreams i once envied at College have suddenly gone to the bin!

To cut my story short i will challenge you guys to come up with something for this year and the future. I am not thinking of something commercial but, if possible lets take it up. I am sure almost everyone has something at his work place that they wish could be automated to save a lot of effort and time. I know within this forum we have people who know java/php/asp/c#/vb/j#/jsp/python and almost all databases. So i am saying guys lets come up with a sort of a "Open Source" Project(s). This is our time and lets make use of it.

Let me hear what others think.

2 comments:

  1. I believe this is a good idea, there is nothing with commercial either ko kash ndizvo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what I think.
    Let's do a web based advertising and search site. This must allow advertisers to put adverts for their products or services, including pictures or a picture. In essence and advertiser creates a user profile from which they can load their 'adverts'. Only those who have user profiles can access this facility.
    Then for the general public, we provide a search engine in the form of an online classifieds (just like th yellowpages of a newspaper) where someone can search for a product, service, eg houses, cars, tvs, cellphones etc.
    I bet you, if we can do this we can create an e-Bay of some sort... Howzat???

    ReplyDelete